Recently, Minh had some questions for James DuCanto on fiberoptics and airway management in general. Here were the questions:
- Some anaesthetists I talk to argue that if you are going to get an optical or video assisted airway device then having it in the same design or functional shape as your traditional devices like the Macintosh laryngoscope, makes more sense than having devices that are of different designs. The Levitan FPS stylet is clearly no Macintosh shape design. What are your thoughts on video laryngoscopes more akin to the traditional Macintosh device like the CMAC versus the Levitan FPS?
- We describe a technique of insertion of an intubating LMA then fibreoptic guided stylet assisted intubation. In what situations have you found this helpful, in your experience?
- In an earlier post you mention having performed a needle cricothyrotomy and rescue jet oxygenation using a dedicated jetting device. It was successful?
- What about ketamine assisted awake intubation?
- How do you intubate through a laryngeal tube airway?
and boy did Jim have answers.
Jim DuCanto is an incredibly prolific anesthesiologist from Wisconsin.
Links Mentioned in the Show
- Jim DuCanto's Intubating Videos
- Jim's Guide to the Cookgas
- Reference for Mouth, Screen, Mouth, Screen (Anesth Anal 2007;104:1611)
- My skills of laryngoscopy video
- Seth Manoach Cric-ing a Sheep
- My Awake Intubation Video
Minh Le Cong has a new podcast–check it out to hear a 1-hour Q&A with Jim DuCanto: prehospitalmed.com
If you are listening to the show, why not get CME as well?
need an audio-only version of the video podcast below? Right Click Here and Choose Save-as
Now on to the podcast…
Latest posts by Scott Weingart (see all)
- EMCrit 259 – Cardiogenic Shock — The Next Level & Mechanical Circulatory Support with Jenelle Badulak - November 13, 2019
- Letter to the Editor – High-Sensitivity Troponin is not a Myth, and “Myth-busting” is often another Myth to be Busted - November 10, 2019
- EMCrit 258 – Should Andexxa be added to a Hospital's Formulary? - October 26, 2019