See Version 2
Since Peter Pronovost's landmark study on how a simple checklist can nearly abolish central line infections, checklists have been the darling of the medical literature. But central lines generally are for elective procedures, allowing us the time and patience to run through the list. Can we gain the same safety and cognitive benefits in an adrenaline-laden procedure like intubation? Hell yeah!
It all starts with the EMCrit Intubation Checklist
Here is the wee on the HOp Killers: Hemodynamic Kills, Oxygenation Kills, and pH Kills
- Intubating the Hemodynamically Unstable Patient
- Intubating the Patient at Risk for Critical Hypoxemia
- Intubating the Patient with Metabolic Acidosis
RSI or Awake? · DSI? · RSA? · ICP/Vascular?
- Awake Intubation Lecture
- More info on Delayed Sequence Intubation (DSI)
- Rapid Sequence Airway (RSA)
- ICP/Vascular Intubation
Are the peri-intubation medications ready?
What is the plan for unexpected difficult or failed airway?
- I use a modified version of the Shock Trauma Center Failed Airway Algorithm
- Cook Gas ILA (My preferred Extraglottic Airway)
Can the cricothyroid membrane be palpated?
What is the plan for post-intubation sedation?
- A bad sedation package traps your patient in a nightmare
Is the patient positioned adequately?
Would the patient benefit from pre-intubation NGT?
Skills of Intubation
Here are some tips
See this post for all things surgical airway
Post Intubation Management
Other People's Intubation Checklists for Inspiration
The EMCrit checklist drew inspiration and aid from these other checklists. Shoulders of giants and such…
List of all Difficult Airway Equipment Extant
Did you like this post? Then tweet the hell out of it
Finally… The EMCrit Call/Response VodCast is done. Podcast 92: http://t.co/0PJbSFQ2 Now tear it apart and make it better!
— the EMCrit Crew (@emcrit) February 5, 2013
Need the Audio only version
Now, on to the podcast…
- EMCrit 286 – The Venous Side Matters Too with Phil Rola - November 30, 2020
- EMCrit 285 – More on Palliative Care Conversations in Resuscitation - November 12, 2020
- EMCrit 284 – You are the Product – Delete Your Algorithmic Social Media - October 29, 2020