Anatol Rapoport’s Rules: How to compose a successful critical commentary by Daniel Dennett
- You should attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly, and fairly that your target says, “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.
- You should list any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
- You should mention anything you have learned from your target.
- Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.
from the amazing book, Intuition Pumps and Other Tools for Thinking
Paul Graham's Hierarchy of Disagreement
for more on this
What would it take to Change Your Mind?
Ask your subject, what would need to change for them to change their belief?
- 4 Maxims that can serve as a guide-map to conversation and argument
- Some tips for evil debate
The Book to Buy
Ten Commandments of Rational Debate
The ones I see infecting FOAM debate again and again
Three logical fallacies, two seen universally and the other unique to medicine. The former two are the status quo bias and the bad-bayesian bias and the latter is Benefit/Harm Evidence Equalization.
Status Quo Bias
Thinking b/c we do things a certain way, there is evidence behind this way
See Rich Carden's discussion of Baye
Benefit/Harm Evidence Equalization
Harm requires markedly less evidence of lower quality than benefit
responses to the Wee on the modification of scalper-finger-bougie technique
Hey Scott, I'm sorry for calling you out on Twitter like that, but the stance you have taken in regards to hold up conflation in bougie cric is a kind of a load of crap. I mean no disrespect when I say that because I trust you a ton, I do my own fact finding as well, but to me that seems way out of character for you to watch a video of someone else, not you, performing a skill very incorrectly, and then allowing that to change your game plan. This is very sensitive ground you are walking on here and people will take this a run without even trying to wrap their head around what they just saw. This where social media can be problematic. In the end, hold up isn't the problem, it's a lack of appropriate training that is that issue. We can't allow the lowest common denominator to win here. We have to constantly make sure that bar is held high! Again no disrespect but I felt I had to speak up. Thanks for your time!
- First Read the Missing Manual
- If you want to put a 3-part response up, respond to your own tweet not the original
- If people haven't responded after the 1st round or so, REMOVE them from the thread
- Consider creating a unique #hashtag and taking everyone's handle from the thread to give room to write
- or Better yet, take it off twitter to REDDIT where threaded comments of any length can be placed
Now on to the Podcast…
- EMCrit 292 – IV T3 for Myxedema Coma, A Different Take with Eve Bloomgarden - February 23, 2021
- EMCrit 291 – For Frak's Sake, Ketamine is at least as Hemodynamically Stable as Etomidate! - February 9, 2021
- EMCrit 290 – Decompensated Hypothyroidism and Myxedema with Dr. Arti Bhan - January 23, 2021