Legalization, edible issues and airport amnesty dumpster diving with Dr. Andrew Monte
Join Dan (@drusyniak) &howard (@heshiegreshie) as they discuss all things marijuana with Dr. Andrew Monte (@PreciseMDMonte) on this very special day. Learn about the interaction between marijuana and ERs in Colorado before and after legalization, the influence of Big Green, and why Turtle isn’t the only one experiencing the Entourage effect. We discuss the issues with edibles, airport amnesty bins, and the issues surrounding increased exposure to marijuana including a disturbing uptick in psychiatric presentations. Learn from the experts the management of cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome with a new item from Chili’s™, olanzapine-to-go. And find out Where’s Waldos?
- Wang GS. Pediatric Concerns Due to Expanded Cannabis Use: Unintended Consequences of Legalization. J Med Toxicol 2017. doi: 10.1007/s13181-016-0552-x. PMID: 27139708.
- Colorado Department of Public Health & Environment Marijuana use trends and health effects
- Hall KE, Monte AA, et al. Mental Health-related Emergency Department Visits Associated With Cannabis in Colorado. Acad Emerg Med 2018. doi: 10.1111/acem.13393. PMID: 29476688.
- Kim HS, Anderson JD, Saghafi O, Heard KJ, Monte AA. Cyclic vomiting presentations following marijuana liberalization in Colorado. Acad Emerg Med 2015. doi: 10.1111/acem.12655. PMID: 25903855.
- Bradford AC, Bradford WD. Medical Marijuana Laws Reduce Prescription Medication Use In Medicare Part D. Health Aff 2016. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2015.1661. PMID: 27385238.
- Bell C, Slim J, Flaten HK, Lindberg G, Arek W, Monte AA. Butane Hash Oil Burns Associated with Marijuana Liberalization in Colorado. J Med Toxicol. 2015 Dec; 11(4):422-5. doi: 10.1007/s13181-015-0501-0. PMID: 26289652.
- Nappe, T. M, & Hoyte, C. O. (2017). Pediatric Death Due to Myocarditis After Exposure to Cannabis. Clinical Practice and Cases in Emergency Medicine, 1(3). http://dx.doi.org/10.5811/cpcem.2017.1.33240. See also the response in the Washington Post, by Ellie Silverman.
What to watch
- Up in Smoke (1978)
- Fast Times at Ridgemont High (1982)
- Friday (1995)
- Half Baked (1998)
- Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle (2004)
What to eat
Thanks to the Digital Scholarship Accelerator for providing Dr. Monte with his setup to record this episode.
Interested in #FOAMtox? Like this podcast? Join us in our new endeavor The Tox and The Hound. It’s like a podcast, but writing.
Excerpted dialog from the months-long marijuana conversation . . .
DR – Sweet. Thanks Andrew. This will be a smoking good podcast.
AM – Sounds good. I hadn’t decided on ACMT yet but perhaps this will push me over the edge to go. I can let you know on that in the next couple of days. I’ve got to clear it with my wife and am coming back from DC now so will wait a couple of days to have that discussion, for strategic reasons! Otherwise I get vaporized at home. . .
DR – Understand. Give yourself some time to let the smoke clear.
AH – Was OOT last week too. Worried I’ll get stoned at home if I push it too early.
DR – Yes, wait. You don’t want to get into the weeds on this one.
HG – Thanks Andrew. I find that whenever my wife wants to vaporize me for a blitz of behavior that leaves me fried, a nice baked item brings a sense of mellow. Look forward to talking with you, ACMT or not.
AM – She gets green with envy when I travel too much.
HG – She’s jealous that you are a toke-n ganjapreneur. Alright. I’m wrecked.
AM – Alright, these double entendres are way too low bar. Like CBD low. We’ll need to raise the bar for this podcast. Cannabis Cup level. Much higher.
KH – And I expect we will have relive these all on Twitter when the podcast drops…
AM – Hey guys. I’m just updating you that I won’t be at ACMT after all. Hopefully that will save you the extra podcast baggage, at least. Should I keep a block of time free on 4/20 or do you want to pre-record it? Figured we should hash it out before schedules get too tight. . .
DR – Bummer dude. Howard was hoping to say high. We don’t record live so will need to schedule this month. Are their daze that work better for you. This will be a smoking podcast.
KH – Please stop. All these puns are going to give me hyperemesis…
AM – Take a hot shower and settle down, Kennon. OK, I'm available. Just let me know what works. Is this a joint session or am I going dolo?
HG – Don’t harsh on it, bud. It’ll all be mellow. I could do whichever daze sparks your interest.
KH – I just wish you guys could hash this out like adults
Latest posts by Tox & Hound (see all)
- Tox and Hound – No Lessons Learned - August 15, 2018
- Tox and Hound – Dependence Isn’t Addiction, But It’s Still A Problem - August 8, 2018
- The Dantastic Mr. Tox & Howard – S02E02 – The Podcast That Mistook its Pediatrician for a Pork Roll - July 31, 2018