Genetic terrorism and CRSPR with Dr. Jillian Theobald
Join Dan (@drusyniak) &Howard (@heshiegreshie) as they explore the world of gene editing with Dr. Jillian Theobald (@JillianTheobald). Dive deep into CRISPR and how it is revolutionizing the way we view the genome and what can be done with it, both good and bad. From Bristle blocks to genetic terrorism, it’s a warm hand-knit Holiday Snuggie™ for you to enjoy the end of the year. Happy Holidays from everyone here at Dantastic HQ!
- Here are a few videos that give an overview of CRISPR and how it works, including a TED talk from Jennifer Doudna who co-invented the technique.
- Here’s a great episode of Radiolab that also discusses CRISPR. Here’s Part 1 from 2015, and then the update from 2017.
- “It’s you, Daddy!” Bristle blocks, an indelible toy from childhood.
- How your morning yogurt revolutionized gene editing.
- CRISPR is a powerful tool. Many now see this easy-to-use technique as a threat to national safety. Or an uncertain future for humanity.
- While it can certainly be used nefariously, CRISPR can also help to determine the characterization of putative cancer genes.
- Or, you can build a better vaccine. Or cure a devastating neuromuscular disease like Duchenne muscular dystrophy? There’s a CRISPR for that.
- Some even try to build a better self by biohacking their genes. Whenever I read a story of self-experimentation, I always have to link to Who Goes First? The Story of Self-Experimentation in Medicine by Lawrence K. Altman.
- Got Mutation? Advanced gene editing can correct one base pair at a time.
- Even the tomatoes aren’t safe. How CRISPR is revolutionizing crops.
- Just because we can kill all the mosquitos, should we?
- Here are the most important gene editing stories of 2019.
Thank you for your continued support. As always, we are looking for feedback – comments, questions, suggestions, recipes, etc. Let us know. Reach us at @toxandhound. We want to hear from you!
We love doing this podcast and hope you do as well. If you like what you hear, maybe you'd like to buy us a cup of coffee!
Thank you to our house band Pretty Simple Duo (@prettysimpleduo), our announcer Josh Shelov (@shelovj), and Reverend Matt Winston of Witness Protection Products. Ad at 26:51 . . . Music “Jingle Bells” by Kevin MacLeod. License: CC BY
Interested in #FOAMtox? Like this podcast? Take a gander at The Tox and The Hound. It’s like a podcast, but for your eyes.
- Tox and Hound – Fellow Friday – Whence the Protons of Lactic Acidosis, Part II - August 14, 2020
- Tox and Hound – Fellow Friday – Whence the Protons of Lactic Acidosis? - July 24, 2020
- The Dantastic Mr. Tox & Howard – S03E03 – Inside Out - July 6, 2020