Kidney injury and dialysis in toxicology with Dr. Josh King
Join Dan (@drusyniak) &Howard (@heshiegreshie) as they get deep into the nephron with Dr. Josh King (@nephrotox). Gather round as we quote Homer Smith, learn why we have a heart (to pump blood to the kidneys, ‘natch), trigger Howard about lithium, and always remember to request the right dose of dialysis.
- The one, the only, Homer William Smith.
Superficially, it might be said that the function of the kidneys is to make urine; but in a more considered view one can say that the kidneys make the stuff of philosophy itself.
- A great article that frames our discussion of how to define kidney injury, Han and Bonventre 2004
This is analogous to beginning the treatment of patients with acute myocardial infarction 48–72 hours after the coronary occlusion.
- Here are the AKIN criteria for acute kidney injury
- And a nice review of biomarkers in acute kidney injury
- Learn about the signs and symptoms of dialysis disequilibrium syndrome, and the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of hemodialysis emergencies.
- For the DIY crowd, the CKD-EPI equation and calculator (AKA where that GFR on the labs comes from)
- Dr. Mitch Halperin’s fantastic physiology study of toluene and why it doesn’t cause RTA . . .
- Nice review of Balkan endemic nephropathy (and aristolochic acid)
- The EXTRIP workgroup for extracorporeal treatment of poisoning
- Here’s the paper by Amdisen and Skjoldborg that showed lithium exiting the CSF in 1969
- Here are some more Dad jokes if you didn’t get enough from this episode . . . and of course, this.
Thank you for your continued support. As always, we are looking for feedback – comments, questions, suggestions, recipes, etc. Let us know. Reach us at @toxandhound. We want to hear from you!
Thank you to our house band Pretty Simple Duo (@prettysimpleduo), our announcer Josh Shelov (@shelovj), and Reverend Matt Winston of Witness Protection Products.
Interested in #FOAMtox? Like this podcast? Take a gander at The Tox and The Hound. It’s like a podcast, but for your eyes.The Bean! By Ravi Patel
- Tox and Hound – Fellow Friday – Whence the Protons of Lactic Acidosis, Part II - August 14, 2020
- Tox and Hound – Fellow Friday – Whence the Protons of Lactic Acidosis? - July 24, 2020
- The Dantastic Mr. Tox & Howard – S03E03 – Inside Out - July 6, 2020