Making A Medical Murderer with Dr. Brent Furbee
Join Dan (@drusyniak) &Howard (@heshiegreshie) as they speak with Dr. Brent Furbee about Orville Lynn Majors, Jr. a nurse serial killer who was convicted of the murder of 7 patients, but was likely involved in countless others. Find out why nurses know, doctors deny, and administrators push back. Learn why bolus potassium is like a Japanese train during rush hour, find out our favorite physician killers, and why Dan is now heretofore known as “675”. . .
- Weren’t scared enough by the episode? Awake Under Anesthesia should do just the trick. . .
- Read about our main subject in the Trial of Orville Lynn Majors, Jr. Another article here.
- Always trust the nurses. The literature that provided the information to help crack the case.
- The clinical syndrome of potassium intoxication. And some additional evidence.
- Some kinetic information about central bolus injections of potassium chloride, and the pharmacokinetics of bolus potassium for you to geek out on.
- If you’ve never been to Japan, here’s a visual for the “packing of the train” traveling potassium quanta analogy.
- Both sides of the potassium coin. Hypokalemic periodic paralysis. Don’t forget barium poisoning and toluene abuse and it’s mechanism behind the RTA. #FOAMtox
- More murder! Blind Eye, by James B. Stewart, the story of serial killer doctor Michael Swango.
- Must Read. The Devil in the White City, by Erik Larson. Recounts the 1893 World’s Fair in Chicago and the serial killer physician H. H. Holmes and his “murder castle.”
- They called him Dr. Death. The story of Christopher Duntsch. Also a podcast, but you don’t need another one, do you?
Thank you for your continued support. As always, we are looking for feedback – comments, questions, suggestions, recipes, etc. Let us know. Reach us at @toxandhound. We want to hear from you!
Interested in #FOAMtox? Like this podcast? Take a gander at The Tox and The Hound. It’s like a podcast, but for your eyes.
Ominous Birds by Alex Jones. No. Not that one.