Alternative treatments for opioid use disorder and music with Dr. Ed Boyer
Join Dan (@drusyniak) &Howard (@heshiegreshie) as they speak with Dr. Ed Boyer about therapies for opioid use disorder, including kratom, ibogaine, and loperamide. Great stuff, deep science and a dispelling of some myths while recognizing some less than savvy science out there. . . Looking forward to part 2, where we find that the dulcet tones of Dan and Howard are the right frequency to treat your blues.
- Many of the therapeutics both prescribed and otherwise in the Pharmacological Treatment of Opioid Use Disorder.
- Mitragynia speciosa korth – self-treatment of opioid withdrawal using kratom.
- Not only adults are affected by these agents. Neonatal abstinence syndrome due to maternal kratom use.
- Where can you get these products and agents? Look at the impact of internet pharmacy regulation on opioid analgesics availability.
- But be careful where you buy. Suspected adulteration of commercial kratom products with 7-hydroxymitragynine.
- Get intracellular with mu-opioid receptor desensitization by beta-arrestin-2 determines morphine tolerance but not dependence.
- Some more information as described in beta-arrestin 2 knockout mice.
- How strong do you like your tea? Quantification of Morphine, Codeine, and Thebaine in Home‐Brewed Poppy Seed Tea by LC‐MS/MS.
- While out guest certainly doesn’t believe in the magic of ibogaine, there are many out there that still do. Here’s one example of what to look out for . . . in a patient with prolonged multiple cardiac arrhythmias after ingestion of internet purchased ibogaine.
- Some interesting stuff on addiction research and the use of ibogaine, a “vast, uncontrolled experiment.”
- Keep your eyes peeled for more cases of tianeptine misuse as reported in poison control center experience with tianeptine: an unregulated pharmaceutical product with potential for abuse.
- And if you haven’t already read it (and why not?) here is a great post about the toxicity of loperamide used for opioid use disorder – The Worst of Both Worlds.
Thank you for your continued support. As always, we are looking for feedback – comments, questions, suggestions, recipes, etc. Let us know. Reach us at @toxandhound. We want to hear from you!
Interested in #FOAMtox? Like this podcast? Take a gander at The Tox and The Hound. It’s like a podcast, but for your eyes.
Latest posts by Tox & Hound (see all)
- The Dantastic Mr. Tox & Howard – S02E09 – The Ascetic Arachnid - April 12, 2019
- Tox and Hound – Fellow Friday – Rapid Collapse and Anaphylactoid Reactions from Rattlesnake Bites - April 5, 2019
- Tox And Hound – In Defense of Case Reports - April 1, 2019