This is the 3rd part of a 5 part series on acid base.
- You should listen to Acid-Base Part I first where you will learn about the underlying chemisty of acid base.
- Part II then delves into the underpinnings of the mathematics of acid base.
- In part III, we will go through two actual problems and show how the EMCrit method plays out.
- Part IV delves into the acid-base of solutions.
- Part V specifically discusses some of the Bicarb Controversy
For this podcast to be optimally effective, you need to print out my acid base sheet:
Here is the 1st problem from last podcast:
Here is the same patient after we treated his DKA:
Mike asked if there was any literature to support the simplification I am using to make the incredible complex quantitative formula more approachable. The answer is yes and here is the pdf you want to read:
Story DA, Morimatsu H, Bellomo R. Strong ions, weak acids and base excess: a simplified Fencl-Stewart approach to clinical acid-base disorders. Br J Anaesth. 2004 Jan;92(1):54-60.
Want an incredible program that will do all of the work for you and teach you about the quantitative method at the same time? Look no further than this incredible site:
Here is one of the must read articles by an EM Intensivist
Need an Audio Only Version?
Acid Base Part III MP3 (Right Click and Choose Save as)
Latest posts by Scott Weingart (see all)
- EMCrit RACC Podcast 220 – Beat the Stress Fool with Mike Lauria — Just In Time Performance-Enhancing Psychological Skills - March 19, 2018
- EMCrit RACC Podcast 219 – Critical Burn Patients in the ED/ICU – Part I with Dennis Djogovic - March 5, 2018
- EMCrit RACC Podcast 218 – Physostigmine with Bryan Hayes - February 20, 2018