So you are now an EMCrit member–yay!!!!!!
Now you want to get access to the podcast.
You need a podcast app that is compatible with private podcasts. Once you have installed the app, you can click the link to get instructions on how to add a private podcast (you only need to do this once)
Additional Apps and Instructions can also be found at this page
Overcast (my favorite and free!)
Apple Podcasts requires a few steps to paste in the URL to add a podcast manually.
- Tap the Library button.
- Tap Edit in the upper-right corner.
- Tap Add a Show by URL.
- Paste the URL into the Podcast URL field.
- Tap Subscribe.
- Note: Sometimes you will get a can't connect message, but the show should still have appeared in your library
In macOS 10.15 Catalina’s standalone Podcasts app:
- Select File > Add a Show by URL.
- Paste the URL into the field.
- Click Subscribe.
- Tap the Discover icon (a magnifying glass).
- Tap Paste URL (Castro detects if one is on the clipboard) or tap in the field and paste.
- Castro shows the podcast listed in the feed. Tap the + to add it and set subscriptions options.
- Tap the + icon in the upper-right corner.
- Overcast detects a podcast URL and prefills it in the Podcast URL field. If it doesn't, click Add URL in the upper right corner and you can also paste it in.
- Tap Done and the podcast is added.
Overcast is my preferred app for IOS–whether free or paid, so I made a video to guide you through
- Tap the Discover icon
- In the Search field, paste the URL.
- Tap the Search button.
- Tap the podcast that appears.
- Tap Subscribe.
(iOS & Android)
Tap the “Library” tab, then select the “Subscriptions” tab.
Tap the “+” in the upper right and
select “Add from link”.
Paste the feed URL and tap done!
(iOS & Android)
Paste the feed URL into the search bar at the top of the “Discover” tab and then hit search. Then hit “Subscribe” and you’re done.
Tap the “+” icon in the top right. Then it’ll take you to the “New Podcast” screen. Then there is a second “+” button you’ll need to hit before selecting “RSS feed”. Then paste in the feed URL and tap “Add.” to finish.
On the main screen you click the + (top right) and it takes you to the “New Podcast” screen. Then there is a second + button that takes you to options including “RSS feed, …”. Click that, add the “RSS feed URL,” click “add,” and blastoff!
(iOS & Mac)
Tap “Add” on the bottom bar, press “Add Podcast Manually” and in the “Feed” field paste the URL of the RSS feed. Then hit “Subscribe” in the top right.
Acast (iOS or Android)
Open the Acast app, and click the search bar.
Paste in the RSS feed, and hit Subscribe
Podcast apps that *do not* support manual RSS
As of 2021, it is not possible to manually add an RSS feed to Spotify, Google Podcasts, Stitcher or iHeartRadio 😔
Spotify should be available in the next few months…
Troubleshooting and Frequently Asked Questions
Please see below for known issues and frequently asked questions.
I am already subscribed to a public version of the show. Will this double up?
Where a show is shared both publicly and privately, you will end up subscribing to the show twice. While this is not necessarily a problem, it may result in episodes being downloaded twice and the show being visible twice also. All the content you want will be in the private feed, so it is probably worth deleting the public one.
My private feed URL does not work. How can I fix this?
Private feed URLs are unique and individual for each subscriber. If your feed URL no longer works, your show administrator should be able to generate a new one for you. To enter it again, edit your private feed as per instructions above and replace the old feed URL.
* Apple Podcasts displays a “Can't connect right now.” error. How can I resolve this?
Version 1.1.0 (1575.1.2) of Apple Podcasts has a known issue in that it displays this message the first time. Don't worry, the feed is added to your Library nevertheless and should work for you as usual.