The synthetic cannabinoid / brodifacoum outbreak with Dr. Steve Aks
Join Dan (@drusyniak) &Howard (@heshiegreshie) as they chat with Dr. Steve Aks as they talk about one of the more concerning toxicologic outbreaks in recent memory – the exposure to brodifacoum through synthetic cannabinoid use. Although still ongoing, this crisis highlights the importance of teamwork and collaboration.
- From the Department of Health in Illinois – synthetic cannabinoids.
- A brief discussion of this very topic from Leon Gussow.
- Not the first problem associated with the synthetic cannabinoids. From the archive, Zombie Day in NYC.
- The emerging threat of superwarfarins: history, detection, mechanisms, and countermeasures.
- A case of brodifacoum intoxication with marijuana smoking.
- And if that wasn’t good enough, a case of severe coagulopathy as a consequence of smoking crack cocaine laced with rodenticide.
- Why is vitamin K so expensive? Rattled by drug price increases, hospitals seek ways to stay on guard.
- Why don’t we worry about kids with unintentional exposures to brodifacoum?
- From the Illinois Poison Center on the dangers of “Fake Weed” on NPR.
- Who was Wally Pipp? Why is Steve the “Wally Pipp” of the Dantastic Tox? That’s an answer for over a few drinks . . .
- Where have you gone, McGruff the Crime Dog?
Thank you for your continued support. As always, we are looking for feedback – comments, questions, suggestions, recipes, etc. Let us know. Reach us at @toxandhound. We want to hear from you!
Interested in #FOAMtox? Like this podcast? Take a gander at The Tox and The Hound. It’s like a podcast, but for your eyes.
Latest posts by Tox & Hound (see all)
- Tox and Hound – Oh, the Nerve! - October 15, 2018
- Tox and Hound – Toxicology’s Shapeshifter: Synthetic Cannabinoids - October 9, 2018
- Tox and Hound – The Dantastic Mr. Tox & Howard – S02E04 – The Bloody Mess - October 8, 2018