What to do in the Post-Resuscitation
Inspired by my friend Mike Mallin, today I discuss the post-resuscitation. This squarely fits into the Mind of the Resuscitationist (MotR) series.
Follows the adrenaline dump. You are basically performing at a much lower level than normal.
The moment of greatest vulnerability is the instant immediately after victory.
~ Napoleon Bonaparte
We briefly touched on this concept in the On Combat bookclub.
…It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to guess that a soldier must pay a heavy physiological price for an enervating process this intense. The price that the body pays is an equally powerful backlash when the neglected demands of the parasympathetic system become ascendant. This parasympathetic backlash occurs as soon as the danger and the excitement are over, and it takes the form of an incredibly powerful weariness and sleepiness on the part of the soldier.
~ Grossman, On Combat
What to Do?
- Scene Check/360 degree sweep/Stabilization steps
- Change Clothes
- Organized Debrief
- Need your input here
- Guilt Release
Process and Avoid Post-Traumatic Negatives
Go on the Couch
Use the highest fidelity simulator, your brain, to replay, re-act, and improve
Will discuss on an upcoming podcast
Gaming Processing and Recreation
Play Tetris or Mindcraft
- DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0004153
- Doi: 10.1177/0956797615583071
- Jane McGonigal's Ted Talk & her interview on Tim Ferriss' podcast. Read her book: SuperBetter.
What if you actually screwed up?
Jason Brooks-Come Help me…
Resilience may lead people to go down the path of Post Traumatic Growth rather than PTSD
Additional New Information
More on EMCrit
- EMCrit 339 – Decisions, Decisions, Decisions with Andrew Petrosoniak(Opens in a new browser tab)
- EMCrit 350 – Mind of the Resuscitationist – Emergency Teams with Dan Dworkis
You Need an EMCrit Membership to see this content. Login here if you already have one.
- ODR 013 – Should, Must, & Won't - November 25, 2023
- EMCrit Shadowboxing Case 6 – A Respiratory Case along with Extra Commentary from Mae West - November 23, 2023
- EMCrit 362 – Jonathan Edlow, Lead Author of GRACE-3, on Dizziness - November 17, 2023