In podcast 78 on the management of elevated ICP, I discussed ocular nerve sheath ultrasound. Here are some additional resources.
Key Aspects of the Technique
- Must see lens or iris in the scan or you are scanning nerve off-axis. If off-axis, may underestimate OSND diameter.
- Measure Outside Diameter (OD)
- A good view of the nerve often necessitates moving the probe slightly to the temporal side and angulating the beam a little nasally.
- Crit Care 2008;12:150
- Acad Emeg Med 2003, Vol. 10, No. 4
- Tayal VS Ann Emerg Med 2006
- Emerg Med J 2007;24:251
- Annals of Emergency Medicine 2007;49(4):508-514
- Inten Care Med 2007;33:1704
- Academic Emergency Medicine 2008;15 (2) , 201-204
- Inten Care Med 2008;34:2062
- Neurocritical Care Dec 2009
- Emerg med j 2011;28:679
- J Trauma 2011;71:779)
- Neurocrit Care 2011;15:506
- Review Article (Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 2011;55:644)
Update 5/31/14: This Blog and Podcast is the one you must immediately check out on optic nerve sheath for ICP, from the Broomedocs podcast.
There you will find this table from Dr. Leanne Hartnett:
From Ultrasound Podcast guys, a 1-minute tutorial
Latest posts by Scott Weingart (see all)
- EMCrit 238 – Medical Error Epidemic Craziness with G. Gianoli - December 12, 2018
- EMCrit Podcast 237 – Vent & PreVENT – An Update - November 28, 2018
- EMCrit Wee – The Brindley Sessions – Followership - November 11, 2018