This stuff is not sexy and frankly, it hurts my head. That is all the more reason to do a show on the new landscape of NOAC reversal. We must pursue rather than avoid the subjects we are weak on. But I needed someone far smarter than myself–I needed a EM PharmD. Nobody better to speak about this topic than Nadia Awad. Nadia is associate editor of the Emergency Medicine PharmD Blog. She is an Emergency Medicine Pharmacist at the Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Jersey.
Laboratory Parameters for Monitoring Target-Specific Oral Anticoagulants
- Hawes EM et al. J Thromb Haemost 2013; 11:1493-1502.
- Cuker A et al. J Am Coll Cardiol 2014; 64:1128-1139.
- Favaloro EJ et al. Semin Thromb Hemost 2015; 41:208-227.
- Samuelson BT et al. Blood Reviews 2017; 31:77-84.
Interim Analysis of Idarucizumab: REVERSE-AD
Clinical Experiences Reported in Literature with Idarucizumab Following Approval by FDA
- Reviewed on Emergency Medicine PharmD
Fantastic Review on Idarucizumab
Use of Extracorporeal Measures to Expedite Elimination of Dabigatran in the Setting of Life-Threatening Bleeding
- Siegal DM et al. N Engl J Med 2015; 373:2413-2424.
- Connolly SJ et al. N Engl J Med 2016; 375:1131-1141.
Low-Dose FEIBA for ICH Induced by Factor Xa Inhibitors
Aripazine (PER977) AKA Ciraparantag
Recommendations for Reversal of ICH Induced by Antithrombotics from Neurocritical Care Society
Excellent reviews on Idarucizumab
- Ann Emerg Med 2017;69(5):554
- EM Lit of Note
works within minutes
Thrombin time and ECT are best monitoring, aPTT if stone-cold normal prob. rules out Dabi
Package comes with 2 vials
2.5 gm each
5 gms is the initial dose
Give each over 5 minutes
Spike and hang vial
give 2nd vial with 15 minutes of first (no reason not to give immediately)
$4200 for both vials at Janus General
Dabi lasts 12 hours in normal patients, and antidote lasts same ostensibly
- RCT of Kcentra (Circulation 2013;128:1234)
- 2-3.9: 25 units/kg (2500 max)
- 4-5.9: 35 units/kg (3500 max)
- >6: 50 units/kg (5000 max)
- Repeat dosing is not recommended, but that doesn't apply to giving fixed dose and then adding on, IMO
- Package insert discusses 8.4 ml/minute (210 units/minute) as max rate, but literature supports more rapid administration [cite]19787352[/cite]
- Here is a study on the fixed dose use of Kcentra (American Journal of Emergency Medicine 33 (2015) 1213–1218)
- I'll be doing an upcoming show on reversal-when is it safe, when is it smart
- Previous Page on Dabi Reversal
FEIBA is probably safe when given as fixed dose (500 IU for INR < 5 and 1000 IU for >= 5)1
Now on to the Show…
Latest posts by Scott Weingart (see all)
- EMCrit RACC 228 – Physiology-Guided Cardiac Arrest Management in 2018 with Dr. Robert Sutton - July 11, 2018
- EMCrit RACC – A Refractory Anaphylaxis Mock Trial by Mike Weinstock - July 5, 2018
- EMCrit Podcast – Acid Base Ep. 7 – Bicarb Updates, Quantitative Approach, and Prof. David Story - June 28, 2018