Jean-Francois Lanctot along with his partner in crime, Maxime Valois, has markedly advanced the field of resuscitative ultrasound. The two of the them also created Echo-Guided Life Support (EGLS) and the Shock Echo app.
Today, Jean-Francois and I discuss the current state of fluid assessment and treatment.
TLDR Take-Home Points
- Rule out obstruction to Venous Return (Can the Right Ventricle Take Volume Loading)
- Look for Left Ventricular Failure (Can the Left Ventricle Take Volume Loading)
- Correct Vascular Tone
- Only then, Decide if the Patient may be Fluid Responsive
Marik and Bellomo on the Fluid Management of Severe Sepsis
See this amazing fluid physiology lecture from the Ultrasound Podcast Site
- EMCrit 279 – The Decision to use Ketamine – Disruptive and Dangerous with Reub Strayer - August 9, 2020
- EMCrit 278 – Labors of Trauma – Blunt Edition (Part 1) - July 24, 2020
- EMCrit 277 – COVID Pulmonary Physiology with Martin Tobin - July 9, 2020