Today, I am joined by my buddy and pulmonary-critical care stud, Oren Friedman, to discuss the management of Massive Hemoptysis
See More from Oren
Some Basics on Massive Hemoptysis
- First10 EM
- Review by Sakkour on Massive Hemoptysis
- IBCC chapter Severe hemoptysis
- A Wee Bit More on Massive Hemoptysis
C-XR, chart review, and initial bronch. Remember Oren's tip: if you get in there and can't find any bleeding, temporarily disconnect the vent
Is it Amenable to Bronch Treatment?
If not, Block; preferably at the segmental level
Use a bronchial blocker, not a double lumen tube
A poor 2nd choice is mainstem intubation
Then Get a CTA of the Chest
Then go to IR for Bronchial Artery Embolization
95% of the lesions will arrise from the bronchial circulation. The ones that don't are PE, Pulmonary Art Catheter mishaps, and AVMs of the Pulmonary arterial circulation.
If that fails, Surgery or ECMO
- Inhaled Tranexamic Acid for Hemoptysis Treatment: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Chest. 2018 Oct 12. pii: S0012-3692(18)32572-8. doi: 10.1016/j.chest.2018.09.026.
- Great Review Article from CHEST
Now, On to the Podcast…
- EMCrit 290 – Decompensated Hypothyroidism and Myxedema with Dr. Arti Bhan - January 23, 2021
- EMCrit 289 – Ketamine Only Intubation Paper with Brian Driver - January 12, 2021
- EMCrit 288 – Neurogenic Shock & Should we be Using Vasopressors for Hemorrhagic Shock? - December 29, 2020