Today, I am joined by my buddy and pulmonary-critical care stud, Oren Friedman, to discuss the management of Massive Hemoptysis
See More from Oren
Some Basics on Massive Hemoptysis
- First10 EM
- Review by Sakkour on Massive Hemoptysis
- IBCC chapter Severe hemoptysis
- A Wee Bit More on Massive Hemoptysis
C-XR, chart review, and initial bronch. Remember Oren's tip: if you get in there and can't find any bleeding, temporarily disconnect the vent
Is it Amenable to Bronch Treatment?
If not, Block; preferably at the segmental level
Use a bronchial blocker, not a double lumen tube
A poor 2nd choice is mainstem intubation
Then Get a CTA of the Chest
make sure to order a delayed phase to see the systemic circulation as well
Then go to IR for Bronchial Artery Embolization
95% of the lesions will arrise from the bronchial circulation. The ones that don't are PE, Pulmonary Art Catheter mishaps, and AVMs of the Pulmonary arterial circulation.
If that fails, Surgery or ECMO
- Inhaled Tranexamic Acid for Hemoptysis Treatment: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Chest. 2018 Oct 12. pii: S0012-3692(18)32572-8. doi: 10.1016/j.chest.2018.09.026.
- Great Review Article from CHEST
Now, On to the Podcast…
- EMCrit 303 – A Bounceback Case with Mike Weinstock - July 23, 2021
- EMCrit 302 – Pain Management Update with Sergey Motov - July 15, 2021
- EMCrit 301 – The Five Fears with Rob Orman (Mind of the Resuscitationist) - July 1, 2021