If you are an EM:RAP listener, you have probably heard Mel Herbert's story of 2 cars crashing right outside of his house. Mel realized he did not stock a medical kit in his house with the necessary crucial supplies for an emergency scene. I realized I don't either (there is one in my car). So, I reached out to the master of preparedness, Dr. Keith Conover.
Everyday Emergency Kit
We spend the 1st part of the show discussing the everyday kit which Dr. Conover has with him (or in eye shot) pretty much always. He carries it in a fanny pack–I'm not sure if I can be persuaded to do this, but you should probably keep a kit with at least these items in your car or house.
On the topic of fanny packs…
Well anyhooooo, here is the list
We also discussed the Daypack Medical Kit for your House/Car
- Rich Levitan has an amazing article on the topic of Digital Intubation (Note: I can't find this online anymore so this is a Crashing Pt Copy)
- Here is an amazing entry on the Life in the Fast Lane CCC
Equipment we Discussed
The CAT Tourniquet is the best one yet
Disposable Laryngoscopes for Kits
I recommend the Zebralights, this is the one I use:
The SAM Splint is EMS standard stock
In his trunk, Dr. Conover has this prestocked trauma kit.
Dr. Conover actually carries a pelvic binder in his trunk as well (no comment), he stocks the SAM II Pelvic Splint.
Other Crucial Links
Stuff EMCrit Likes – The Anesthetic Crisis Manual
This book is amazing! It fulfills what Joe Novak was talking about on EMCrit Podcast ; this is the manual you want in the OR/OT after you go through the no-shitters. Waterproof, unrippable, and easy to find the crucial info you need–good stuff. Please go read the full review on LITFL.
Go to the ACM Website and check it out. I took no money (would I ever?) for this plug; but the author sent me a bunch of books to distribute to you folks.
Latest posts by Scott Weingart (see all)
- EMCrit 234 – Pardon Me, I Couldn't Help but Overhear or How to go from being an Ass-hole to an AYS-hole on Twitter - October 3, 2018
- EMCrit 233 – EMCrit Failed Airway Algorithm 2018 from ResusTO - September 19, 2018
- EMCrit 232 – SteelMan Debate – EMS Field Decisions in Cardiac Arrest with Howie Mell - September 5, 2018