If you are an EM:RAP listener, you have probably heard Mel Herbert's story of 2 cars crashing right outside of his house. Mel realized he did not stock a medical kit in his house with the necessary crucial supplies for an emergency scene. I realized I don't either (there is one in my car). So, I reached out to the master of preparedness, Dr. Keith Conover.
Everyday Emergency Kit
We spend the 1st part of the show discussing the everyday kit which Dr. Conover has with him (or in eye shot) pretty much always. He carries it in a fanny pack–I'm not sure if I can be persuaded to do this, but you should probably keep a kit with at least these items in your car or house.
On the topic of fanny packs…
Well anyhooooo, here is the list
We also discussed the Daypack Medical Kit for your House/Car
- Rich Levitan has an amazing article on the topic of Digital Intubation (Note: I can't find this online anymore so this is a Crashing Pt Copy)
- Here is an amazing entry on the Life in the Fast Lane CCC
Equipment we Discussed
The CAT Tourniquet is the best one yet
Disposable Laryngoscopes for Kits
I recommend the Zebralights, this is the one I use:
The SAM Splint is EMS standard stock
In his trunk, Dr. Conover has this prestocked trauma kit.
Dr. Conover actually carries a pelvic binder in his trunk as well (no comment), he stocks the SAM II Pelvic Splint.
Other Crucial Links
Update – Stuff EMCrit Likes
The folks at microbvm
sent me their pocketbvm
this device fills a key role. It is the only BVM small enough to realistically keep in your car trunk. It unfolds to a perfect, usable BVM but takes up minimal space in storage.
Now on to the Podcast…
- EMCrit Wee – Webinar I Gave to Pulm/Crit Care Fellows on Avoiding Intubation and Initial Ventilation of COVID19 Patients - April 4, 2020
- EMCrit 269 – Rationing of Critical Care and Ventilators in COVID19 with Reub Strayer - March 31, 2020
- EMCrit Wee – Stop Kneejerk Intubation with the EMCrit Crew - March 30, 2020