Today, I get to speak with my buddy Zack Shinar about soem cardiac arrest science.
- Is there a no-flow time past which there is no hope for survival?
- If there is, how do we know the pt was actually fully no-flow–are we are conflating no-cpr for no flow?
- What is the survival limit on low flow time?
- VF survival is not linear across time. What happens to that number if you strip out all the 1-2 shock v-fib (real comparator for ecmo right?
- Who are the few (5%) of non-ecpr patients who survive after 30 minutes of CC?
- Effect of Transient ROSC on outcome data
Current Cardiac Arrest Assumptions – mantras needs changing
- Cardiac arrest rhythms have overlap but are very different disease
- Termination of Resuscitation (TOR) is outdated
- Pre-hospital prognostication needs an increase in sophistication
Some Literature on the Stuff Spoken About
- Asystole in patients with wearable ICDs are much better than historical1
- Shockable rhythm patients can have neurologically intact survival with CPR out to 47 minutes (mRS 0-3)2
- When Should EMS Transfer-Transport for ECPR should be considered between 8 to 24 minutes of professional on-scene resuscitation, with 16 minutes balancing the risks and benefits of early and later transport. Earlier transport within this window may be preferred if high quality CPR can be maintained during transport and for those with initial non-shockable rhythms.3 50%of ROSC would be captured at 8 minutes and 90% by 16 minutes.
- Reynolds et al. found similar data with 21 minutes being the 90% capture mark.4
- PEA should prob. not be an exclusion for ECMO, they can have a 23% neuro intact survival in this paper.5
- Wake County Data Packet
- Rate of Brain Death and organ donation, possibly another reason field termination in the field is a bad strategy in viable cohorts
- Adnet et al. on No-Flow and Low-Flow Durations
Other EMCrit Links of Interest
Sign up for REANIMATE6 before tickets sell out
Now on to the Podcast…
- EMCrit 281 – Why Can't Emergency Medicine and Trauma Surgery Just Get Along? - September 4, 2020
- EMCrit 280 – Who Should Get Angiotensin II with Rinaldo Bellomo - August 19, 2020
- EMCrit Wee – Is it Tamponade with Jacob Avila - August 17, 2020