Today I want to talk about proper ventilation with a Bag-Valve-Mask, aka the BVM. I am joined by my friend Reuben Strayer, MD of EM Updates. You'll see Reub's talk from this year's EMCrit ED Critical Care Conference and hear some of my thoughts as well.
After Reuben's lecture, I made a few points of my own:
- Anesthesiologists can't do one hand BVM as well as they think, at least according to this article: (Anesthesiology 2010; 113:873-9)
- How about the best article on how to manipulate the jaw for optimal BVMing
- Here is a link to an article where I discuss Vent as a Bag and here is the video as well.
need an audio-only version, (right click here and choose save-as), otherwise
- Pressure Gauge
- One-Way Exhalation Port
- PEEP Valve
Head Rotation for BVM
Or Consider the Oxylator
More on BVM Use
And now to the Vodcast…
- EMCrit 281 – Why Can't Emergency Medicine and Trauma Surgery Just Get Along? - September 4, 2020
- EMCrit 280 – Who Should Get Angiotensin II with Rinaldo Bellomo - August 19, 2020
- EMCrit Wee – Is it Tamponade with Jacob Avila - August 17, 2020