The Brindley sessions brings the brilliance of Peter Brindley to the EMCrit Podcast. Our first topic of conversation is rudeness and its ill effects on the medical team. Peter gave a great lecture on this topic at SmaccDUB, but I wanted to hear more.
Dr. Peter Brindley
Peter Brindley MD, FRCPC, FRCP (Lond), FRCP (Edin), Full-time Critical Care Doc from the University of Alberta Hospital. To the surprise of many (himself included) he is a Professor of Critical Care Medicine, Anaesthesiology, and Medical Ethics. He has authored 90 peer-reviewed manuscripts, 25 book chapters, 50 lesser manuscripts, and has two textbooks pending. He has given over 300 invited presentations in 10 countries, and over 30 plenaries. He was a founding member of the Canadian Resuscitation Institute; and was perviously Medical-Lead for Simulation, Residency Program Director, and Education Lead at the UofA. He has advised the Canadian Patient Safety Institute, and the Royal Colleges of Canada and of Edinburgh. There are many better speakers, but none happier to be here. He welcomes questions; comments and especially disagreements: after all he doesn’t wish to be wrong a moment longer than absolutely necessary.
Some Studies & Papers
- RCT of the effects of rudeness on team performance (CoreEM discussion of this paper)
- Improving Verbal Communication in Critical Care
- Improving Teamwork
- Questionnaire Study on Rudeness
- More Rudeness
- McLuhan on the Medium is the Message
Verbal AiKiDo aka Dealing with Assholes
Psychologist Albert Bernstein recommends these three tips:
- Say, “Please speak more slowly, I’d like to help” or some variation thereof. Doesn't matter if they are already speaking slow as molasses.
- Ask, “What would you like me to do to make this better.” or ANY other question. Questions short circuit the anger cycle.
- Let them have the last word
See more from this post
Rudeness Affects Team Performance as well
Pediatrics. 2017 Jan 10. pii: e20162305. doi: 10.1542/peds.2016-2305.
Now on to the Session…
Latest posts by Scott Weingart (see all)
- EMCrit 266 – High Sensitivity Troponins with Louise Cullen - February 20, 2020
- EMCrit 265 – ECPR 2.0 (ECMO CPR) - February 5, 2020
- EMCrit – Midlines Part 2-Explosion with Rory Spiegel - February 1, 2020