Post Three of Janu-Airway
I just finished teaching at one of the best airway courses I have ever participated in (well actually, it's been a few months now). The highlight of the course was meeting Prof. George Kovacs. He has been obsessed with airway for decades. I picked up a number of great tips from him and I'm sharing those tips with you today.
Anesthesia for Awake Intubation
See this lecture to understand the intricacies of Awake Intubation
- EZ Atomizer
- George uses 15 ml of Lidocaine 4% in the EZ atomizer
- 5% Paste on a Tongue Depressor
- 10% lidocaine would be wonderful to spray down the cords (not available in USA)
Not Seating Fully in the Vallecula
The Move: Lift the Head
Underhand grip, like you are holding a football
How to Build Direct Laryngoscopy Muscles
Residents don't lift enough
Lock and Load and Potato Sacks
the following video demonstrates all of the best-look laryngoscopy techniques we have discussed thus far:
VL/Long Scope Combo and the Triple Set-Up
- Video Laryngoscope
- Fiberoptic Scope
- Surgical Airway Supplies
Effect of Dynamic Versus Stylet-Guided Intubation on First-Attempt Success in Difficult Airways Undergoing Glidescope Laryngoscopy: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Anesth Analg. 2019 Mar 7. doi: 10.1213/ANE.0000000000004102.
How to ask for In-Line Stabilization
- Take Off the Collar!
- Ear-Muffs Approach to prevent obstruction of jaw mobility
The FAA Report and its ramifications for Crit Care Airway Management
Want More from George?
- Procedural Skills in Medicine (pdf)
- George's Talk on Human and Psychological Factors in Airway Management From EM London
- Airway in a Minute Videos on George Kovacs Youtube Channel
- AIME Airway Site
- Airway Management in Emergencies Monograph
- George's EMCrit Guest Post on Antifragility
Additional New Information
More on EMCrit
- EMCrit 299 – Bougie Masterclass with George Kovacs(Opens in a new browser tab)
- EMCrit 194 – Definitive Emergent Awake Intubation with George Kovacs(Opens in a new browser tab)
- EMCrit 236 – George Kovacs on EVLI Airway Incrementalization(Opens in a new browser tab)
- EMCrit 253 – Kovacs Kata to Optimize a Failing Laryngoscopy Attempt(Opens in a new browser tab)
You Need an EMCrit Membership to see this content. Login here if you already have one.
- EMCrit 358 – Dizziness Makes Me Dizzy Still! – GRACE-3 and more with Peter Johns - September 24, 2023
- EMCrit RACC Lit Review – September 2023 - September 17, 2023
- EMCrit – Lessons from a Master Trainer – Cliff Reid on Training Team Performance - September 11, 2023