This is the 3rd part of a 5 part series on acid base.
- You should listen to Acid-Base Part I first where you will learn about the underlying chemisty of acid base.
- Part II then delves into the underpinnings of the mathematics of acid base.
- In part III, we will go through two actual problems and show how the EMCrit method plays out.
- Part IV delves into the acid-base of solutions.
- Part V specifically discusses some of the Bicarb Controversy
The Acid Base Series
- EMCrit Podcast – Acid Base Ep. 7 – Bicarb Updates, Quantitative Approach, and Prof. David Story
- Podcast 97 – Acid-Base VI – Chloride-Free Sodium
- Podcast 96 – Acid Base in the Critically Ill – Part V – Enough with the Bicarb Already
- EMCrit Podcast 50 – Acid Base Part IV – Choose the Solution Based on the Problem
- EMCrit Podcast 46 – Acid Base: Part III
- EMCrit Podcast 45 – Acid Base: Part II
- EMCrit Podcast 44 – Acid Base: Part I
For this podcast to be optimally effective, you need to print out my acid base sheet:
Here is the 1st problem from last podcast:
Here is the same patient after we treated his DKA:
Mike asked if there was any literature to support the simplification I am using to make the incredible complex quantitative formula more approachable. The answer is yes and here is the pdf you want to read:
Story DA, Morimatsu H, Bellomo R. Strong ions, weak acids and base excess: a simplified Fencl-Stewart approach to clinical acid-base disorders. Br J Anaesth. 2004 Jan;92(1):54-60.
Want an incredible program that will do all of the work for you and teach you about the quantitative method at the same time? Look no further than this incredible site:
Here is one of the must read articles by an EM Intensivist
Need an Audio Only Version?
Acid Base Part III MP3 (Right Click and Choose Save as)
Latest posts by Scott Weingart (see all)
- EMCrit 257 – Pulseless Electrical Activity (PEA) is Stupid - October 9, 2019
- EMCrit Wee – Farkas and I Discuss his Recent PulmCrit Guest Post on Asthma - September 27, 2019
- EMCrit Wee – Zero Point Survey Video by Cliff Reid - September 24, 2019